Thursday 9 October 2014

Memories from Central Park

As I was preparing this post, I started thinking that blogging may not be my thing after all. I mean, it took me nearly 2 months to attempt writing a paragraph about this trip. But then I remembered how I talked about "motivating myself to write about my experiences" in my first post and realized I would never blog abroad if I didn't keep myself disciplined. So here it goes...After an extremely stressful semester, I was lucky enough to spend a week in New York City with a friend. The hotel we stayed at was a two minute walk from the Columbus Circle so I got to spend a good chunk of my time in Central Park.

I hadn't been to Central Park during my prior visit to NYC, so I had quite a few places I wanted to see here. The list of course included the Bethesda Fountain, Gapstow Bridge, Strawberry Fields, Belvedere Castle, and everything else I may have seen in various films (+ TV shows). However, the biggest gems were the places we accidentally stumbled across. One of those places was Le Pain Quotidien (above). Later we came across more Pain Quotidiens located in other areas of the city, but nothing could replace the joy of finding a cute cafe at the perfect location while we were starving. 
One of my favourite activities while exploring Central Park was reading the benches that had been "adopted" by various people. I ended up photographing many of them: proposals, births, dedications, etc. The one above reminded me of Sex and the City for some reason. As SATC is one of my favourite TV shows, I wanted to visit many of the locations that were featured on the show. The Loeb Boathouse (where I had lunch one day) is where Mr. Big and Carrie fell in the water when she tried to avoid his kiss.  
One day, we were walking to our hotel from the Guggenheim, when we came across this magnificent view of the Upper West side. I stood there on the jogging track for a while just staring (much to the joggers' and my friend's annoyance), but I think this is the moment when I truly fell in love with Manhattan.
Lastly, I have to mention the Central Park Conservancy Film Festival. Every Summer, you can watch film screenings in the park. I think it usually runs for around 5 days and it's free. We were only able to go for one night and luckily, they were playing one of my favourite Hitchcock films! This was undoubtedly one of the most surreal things I experienced in New York. 
Now that I'm finishing up this post, I've realized that the reason I've had trouble starting it in the first place is because it's difficult. It's difficult putting into words how amazing this city is. It isn't a coincidence that hundreds of films are shot here yearly. To me, every corner of the city is reminiscent of a different scene from a film. I love love love New York City and I can't wait to go back. After all, this is the only city to date that I could ever consider cheating on Paris with.

Thank you for reading,

xx

T.

2 comments:

  1. Wow these are such beautiful photos!! Great photography! :)

    New post on GIRL ABOUT TOWN BLOG
    FACEBOOK || BLOGLOVIN || INSTAGRAM || G +

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures, NYC is still on my bucket list. Would be great if we could follow each other on GFC/Bloglovin, let me know! x

    www.rougeuse.com

    ReplyDelete